Friday, September 19, 2014

Yarn along and a book review!


I'm joining Ginny over at Small things for Yarn along this week, a few days late but thankful i can still join in.

It's always fun when a new yarn falls into your lap. 
I love to go shopping at a little store that gets close outs and have picked up some amazing deals.
I bought two skeins and wound it this afternoon.


I usually won't review a book so quickly after it arrives but with this new yarn begging to be knit up and a little person playing happily in her room I was able to digest the entire book in a few hours.
Let me start by saying I smiled when I saw her dedication. She dedicated the book to her Ravelry friends- Ive met so many amazing women and learned so much on Ravelry.

So let me tell you how great this book is, the author is sharing tricks to take knitting to the next level. I love how each chapter focuses on a specific technique, wrapped stitches, twisted stitches, lace work tricks, and beads. The author starts off each chapter with a small pattern for a wristlet or necklace and moves on to hats, fingerless gloves, scarves, and ending with shawls. She provides a great description of the technique and the patterns use various weights of yarns. All of the patterns were something I would knit for myself or someone I love, it's not often that a I find a book that has so many patterns that are fun and practical. The  twenty three patterns cover a large range of skill levels, so plenty of things for a beginner all the way to difficult.

Some other things I really enjoyed were the yarn weight system and in the back a list of knitting techniques. This comes in handy if you are someone like me that likes to knit on the go, if I can't remember a stitch I can find what I need with a flip of the page. An added bonus is a little icon throughout the book. The author actually has a video on her webpage for that specific technique! Handy for a visual learner like me when learning something new. 

I've been knitting seriously for several years and I am so excited to explore new techniques and add this book to my shelves.
This book will easily get five out of five stars.
Thank you to blogging for books for the opportunity to review this book. 
This review is my own opinion and I was in no way compensated for this review.

The next book I've read is " loves Fortune" by Laura Frantz.
I have found a new favorite author! What a great historical romance. I enjoyed the well developed characters and felt emotionally attached to their struggles and joys. The plot was well thought out and attention to detail really kept my interest.The authors attention to detail really drew me in from page one and kept me up way past my bedtime many a night. I will admit I had to write this review before reading the last few chapters because I have been savoring every word. This book would get more than five stars if that was possible! Thank you Laura Franz for such a beautiful story. ( sorry no spoilers! Please go pick up a copy for yourself- you won't be disappointed!) a thank you to Revell books for the opportunity to review this book. This review is my personal opinion and I was in no way comoensated for a positive review. 


I want to close with sharing the cute little capelet I knit for Lil G.
I have the directions written down and will share on Ravelry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.