Thursday, January 31, 2013

Opposites

“Each second we live is a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that will never be again. And what do we teach our children? We teach them that two and two make four, and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them what they are? We should say to each of them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move. You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything. Yes, you are a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then harm another who is, like you, a marvel? You must work, we must all work, to make the world worthy of its children.”

~Pablo Picasso (Spanish Artist and Painter. 1881-1973)



As an artist these words resonate deep within.
As a parent, deeper still.
Then when you add teaching artist......

Icing on the cake.

I have been trying to figure out how I could end up with a child
that is such an extrovert- when I feel like an introvert
A child that is legally blind -and I am an artist.
A child that I am struggling with the powers that be to have her learn Braille, and I am a book reviewer. I have shelves and shelves of books in print.
It's amazing to me that the things that are my passion,
Are the areas in her life that She needs help in the most.
And vice versa.


Grace and papa having a tickle fest.
(Pre RSV. )
I love her showing him her belly button.
Then sticking his finger in it! She kills me










2 comments:

  1. Oh, those moments are so sweet. And I think those dichotomies of passion and ability serve to teach us tolerance, acceptance, flexibility and how to make accomodations. Think of it as an enrichment experience for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how you can each learn from the strengths of the other! Amazing how that works!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.