Monday, June 16, 2014

Let's dream new dreams!

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." 
                                                                                - Helen Keller


Call me a dreamer,
I have hopes and dreams for each one of my children.
If I'm not mistaken,
Most parents dream of what their children will aspire to.
Just because my youngest daughter has multiple disabilities does not change this fact.
If I think back over the past four years I can see how much my dreams have changed.
Is that a good thing I wonder? 
Should my dreams for Lil G remain the same?
Sometimes I fear I am setting us up for disappointment and other times I shake my fist at others
Don't tell me what is or isn't possible.



A week and a half ago, June 8th marked "gotcha day " as we call it in the adoption world.
Four years ago!!
Since then we've had our ups n downs.
Don't we all??
I have had to re group a few times since our day 1 together.
If you've been following along you will know what I speak of.
New diagnosis's that really shook me to the core.
Epilepsy, legally blind, unable to sweat-
 and fighting the " system"-both educational and medical.
I'm looking forward to a new schedule this upcoming school year.
 A new normal.
Lil G thrives on routine.
Let's dream new dreams together!








2 comments:

  1. As someone who works with adults with disabilities I encourage you to keep dreaming for Lil G. Just like with neuro-typical children they won't always fulfill their parents' dreams. I've seen such a difference in the people who's families have encouraged them to try anything they want and not fear failure versus the people who were taught to accept their lot in life. It looks like you are doing a great job teaching Lil G to make her own dreams and to reach for the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kymberly. You are so right! As parents we walk a fine line- having our own personal dreams for our children is fine, normal, but what we do with those dreams can sometimes get in the way of progress can't they?! We keep dreaming beautiful dreams and encouraging our children to reach for the stars and to accept themselves. I am still learning so much from this little cutie!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.