Friday, February 5, 2010

Book review

I just wanted to take some time to write a few book reviews for Bethany Books. This is the first books I will review for them and I am so excited about the opportunity to have something new to add to my "to do" list.

The first book I read was "The Silent Governess" by Julie Klassen. I enjoyed the book thoroughly. If you are looking for a distraction from reality this would be a nice choice! I have not read any of this Authors other titles so I started this book without expectations. I enjoyed the historical quotes at the beginning of each chapter. If I was giving stars I would give it 4 out of 5. Wink wink........

The second book I read this past month was "The Hidden Flame" By Davis Bunn and Janette Oke. I have read these authors before. Both separately and together. I was so excited to see it on the list. It is the second book in the Acts of Faith series but I want you to know it can be read without reading the first book. The story line takes off right from the start and left me turning the pages as quickly as I could read. I enjoy the Historical Fiction books so this was right up my alley. I will say that when chapt two jumped ahead in time it took me awhile to get back into the flow but I am that way...... After reading my blog you know I like every thought and word expressed from start to finish. I do struggle with flow in my own train of thoughts but its hard for me to stay on track when others dont! ha ha! It would get 5 out of 5 stars in my book!

On to the third book. Yes, three BIG books in one month! What an undertaking..... I am JUST completing Sense and Sensibility. But I must say that this is a re-read for me. I have read Jane Austens book several times before this and enjoyed it each and every time. I just knew that this would not disappoint me. But if I must review the book and say exactly what I thought it would be mostly about the "Insight "given since that is what is up to review........ I enjoyed the bits of history, the cultural details given, comments, themes of faith etc. I was not really enthused about the happy face and frowny face comments.Or some of the other comments that were personal in nature. I suppose I was thinking it would be like reading a Cliff note edition with maybe scriptural reference or such. I dont know why but those just rubbed me wrong. I think those sorts of comments might be enjoyed by teenagers or even possibly someone of a different personality type. But me, not so much. I really felt like using a black marker and "deleting" them from the text. But I say this in being totally honest and this is just MY OPINION and preference. We all have them and I want to say this doesnt mean it wasnt an enjoyable insightful look at what I consider to be a treasure to read. (and re-read) This would be difficult to give stars. Maybe three out of five?????

Well, Im checking this off my "to do" list and feeling good to have one of the many many things looming over my head this month....... DONE! I thought I had learned how to say "No". My list contains things that are close to my heart and well..... needed to be done. I rarely say "yes" to things as of late because of the funk Ive found myself in. Just trying to take care of me and the family has been quite enough. THANK-YOU-VERY- MUCH! Yes Im my worst enemy of late. So Art lessons to plan and teach, sister and family coming into town for a long weekend, a purse to be sewn as a BD gift, a scarf/hat to be knit for missions Ecuador youth trip auction, painting to be completed for said auction, and prep for painting a mural in the church nursery(start in March) and just the other day I volunteered to sew curtains for the nursery. Turns out there are SIX windows! And theyd like them before opening day on the 22nd. eegads......

I DID get to go shopping for fabric and I need to say the day out, showered, dressed and with my oldest was very good for me. I am making a purse for a friends birthday. It will be so pretty when its done.

I also met with the teacher at the DJJ facility I will be working at and that was good. I now have direction and an idea of her expectations and thoughts on my project ideas. thats sceduled for the last week of the month but we will see......


No adoption news dear friends so keep praying for our little one and our family

Under His wings,
Anna

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh. I love to read! I haven't heard of the first author, so I will be sure and check her out. Those comments on Sense & Sensibility would've driven me batty! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still keeping you in our prayers!!

    BellaWool :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.