Friday, March 29, 2013

Learning to Love- a book review

I pray this finds you and yours Savoring the moments of Holy Week.
(If you follow along you might be rewarded by an adorable photo, or two, of Lil G!)

I've recently read a book and would like to share the review.
I read ," Learning to Love" by Heidi and Rolland Baker




Stories about missionaries, God doing amazing things in Africa and seeing lives changed. What a beautiful back drop for a good book. This book was written by a husband and wife working together on the mission field, sometimes there is even an excerpt written by someone else on the team. I loved the topic of the book, Love has to be tangible first- someone can't hear the gospel if their stomachs are growling or they are in mind numbing pain. Heidi and her husband Rolland have actually put love in action building churches, putting their lives in danger daily, digging wells, bringing food and gifts to children that have never experienced Christmas, setting up orphanages and schools to give the children a hope and a future. 
I had a hard time writing this review because I believe in the message the authors are trying to convey, that you and I can be doing the same thing in our world. We don't have to work on a mission field to be meeting the real tangible needs of others and forming relationships that will make a difference. Sadly many of us are too busy running after the "American Dream" instead of being aware of the big picture. It's a message we need to be reminded of. 
I do have to comment on the book though and say that the writing was not fluid. I had a hard time following the story because it was snippets of stories then some scripture or exhortation. It didn't fit. It felt disjointed. I wanted to like it yet struggled to stay focused. There were many pictures throughout and I found those were a distraction as well. Maybe if they had been put at the beginning of each "chapter" or in a cluster in the middle or back of the book ? This is the reason I will only give the book 3 stars. 
I want to end this review by stating there are many beautiful quotes and paragraphs of encouragement that are highlighted in my copy. Specifically one paragraph that really touched me where Im at. You see, we adopted Lil G 2.5 years ago and I see stories of other families doing the same thing- yet adopting more children and serving in big ministries as well. I struggle that I am not doing more. 

Pg 142 speaking of Jesus, " He stopped over and over again for just one person, for just one life. (Emphasis on one) God is looking for laid- down lovers who will give themselves up for just one person. I truly believe that in heaven, your reward will be just as great if you really loved one person, as if you saw a million people give their hearts to Jesus."

I will close by thanking Bethany House Publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book. I was in no way compensated for this review and the opinion expressed here is completely my own. 



Now for a few cute pictures of our silly Lil G! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.