Monday, September 20, 2010

three more reviews

The books piled up while we were out of country and now that weve been home there are so many things I want to do while G is napping that my time is spread pretty thin.
Im glad to report I have two more books read and Im ready to write the reviews.

The frst book "Love is a flame". Compiled by James Stuart Bell. This was an easy to read book. I enjoyed the style. Not too preachy and not really a "self- help" type read. The book was filled with true stories that are quite inspiring. At the end of each story are throught provoking questions and things to think about. I highly recommend this book to all those that are happily married as well as others in a low point, this book just might help re-kindle the flame. I look forward to sharing it with a few other women in my circle of life.

The second book is "She walks in beauty" by Siri Mitchell. This book was set in the late 1800's in New York during a time called the guilded age.The main character Clara was in the midst of the process of "coming out" in society. THe book tells the saga of Clara and her best friend as they navigate thorugh what coming out in society meant for these two young women. Both girls had families urging them in one direction that lead to wealth and power. Will these girls choose love instead?
I enjoyed the plot of this book as well as the conflict. We are all faced with moral delimma and others expectations of us. The story was one I can easily reccomend to others. This book would get four out of five stars from me....

While I am at it I recieved another book titled "City on our knees" by Toby Mac over the weekend and had anxiously awaited its arrival. I read it in one day/ evening and enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped I would. Toby Mac uses the lyrics of the songs on his latest CD as a springboard for the chapters and it is a compilation of inspiring stories, quotes and Bible verses put together to lead us to deeper thought on what separates us and how to unite as a body to do God's work. I could easily see this book enjoyed by youth and adults alike, as a springboard for small group discussions or even private quiet time reading. I can easily give this book five out of five stars!

In closing I need to add that the books I reviewed here were sent to me by Bethany House Publishers for the purpose of reviewing them. The reciept of the book in no way influenced my opinion. I would like to thank Bethany House for the priveledge to review books for them. I enjoy it so much!!!

I might add.....
I have four more books......
waiting to be read and reviewed!
Ha ha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We would love it if you left a comment.